Saturday 8 March 2014

Going On Adventures


It's in the title.
This month shall be full of adventures for me! I'm going up to London more and shall be taking my camera with me! This post is like a mini life update of what's happened recently.



So on Wednesday my Dad and I went to the De La Warr Pavillion and took part in the Creative Cafe day as professional artists (I'm not really a pro but I can dream). 
Basically the Creative Cafe is like a meet-up thing that happens every so often and encourages young people to learn new things from a variety of different professional perspectives. On Wednesday, the professions varied from banks to architecture and animation to publishing! It was our job to give a little insight to these yr 10-11's what our profession is like and how they can get into it etc. We spoke about auditioning, casting, solo work.. and the response was brilliant. They all showed real, genuine interest. It's sad really because I know in a lot of schools, not just around my area, don't really get the advice or guidance that they should when it comes to the arts industry. Mainly because some don't think it's necessary or they think it shouldn't be encouraged. 

I remember having a one to one with a careers advisor back at school. I kinda felt it was a waste of time going because I knew what I wanted to do, how to get there etc because of the advice that my parents gave me and ONE drama teacher. This teacher was like 'So what do you want to do?' and I replied 'Acting' and they said 'Well okay. Let's have a look at some other options' and started talking about Textiles, Politics, Sociology-- SOCIOLOGY. Where the heck did that come from? This person, clearly, had nothing to say about what I wanted to do.
I sat there for ages thinking 'You know what if I was doing your job, and god forbid I had no idea what was required in a profession that I knew nothing about, I wouldn't talk this student out of doing what they want to do. I'd encourage them and look it up with them because surely you want people to succeed right? RIGHT?!'
ARGH.

I swear to God some just dismiss it. Or know nothing about it so try and steer us to something that they do know about. In my eyes they panic because it's unfamiliar and they're content when someone leaves with a book or websites on psychology or environmental studies.  

Sure I know it's a hard industry to get into and you do have to have a solid plan B (mines Fashion/ Journalism/ Vlogging/Motivational Speaker/Radio Presenter)...(coincidentally every other industry that's hard to get into). 

Anyways, enough ranting. But the point is we gave about 20 kids an insight into the industry and helped them find great ways of getting into it. I love kids I really do especially when they're clearly having fun and learning something. Ahh, I miss school-- Actually no, who'm I kidding. Pfft!

RIGHT MAIN POINT OF THIS POST IS ADVENTURES SO

Every Sunday of this month I'm going to be working with a theatre company called Hidden Agenda on a series of workshops that they'll be putting together for a new project! Seems like a perfect opportunity to vlog my adventures up in London!

I shall also be working at a theatre (myyysteriouss hmm) towards the end of the month on some projects as well. Many duties shall one carry out while pondering round such a creative venue!

As well as volunteering and helping out and meeting lovely people so EEK! I can't wait to get started! 


Go on as many adventures as you possibly can - stepping outside holds endless possibilities. 
Adventures out there 

What's stopping you?

 Ta ta.<3

2 comments:

  1. That is very cool! Awesome that you got to encourage the kids there and tell them all about the industry! Good luck with your upcoming workshops!

    Rebecca
    www.winnipegstyle.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rebecca! Owh it was a very rewarding day for all of us! Thank you - one down, 3 to go! :D Grace <3

      Delete